Hip Hotel Frascati, Italy: The Park Hotel Villa Grazioli



The Villa Grazioli Hotel Review, Hip Hotel Frascati
      Every girl has imagined being the heroine in the Hollywood style Italian films, where the American tourist finds love and the meaning of life on a hillside castle with a charming man. Leaving the romance for another article entirely, I was in fact such a protagonist on my recent trip to the Italian town of Frascati, just outside of Rome, in the Relais and Chateaux Park Hotel Villa Grazioli.
The Villa Grazioli Hotel Review, Hip Hotel Frascati After spending several days in Rome, where I took in all the usual sights and sceneries, I didn't know what to expect from the 16th century villa. But beyond any expectations, I was in awe as I went up the hillside, into the tree-lined setting where the castle-like luxury hotel lay. A vast departure from city hotels, inside the Villa Grazioli I found myself transfixed on the pictorial depictions on the ceilings. As grand as any museum, but equally inviting, I couldn't believe I would actually be staying there.
A modern elevator took me up to the room – there is an original spiral staircase if you want be authentic – where I was delighted to find all my modern amenities, including a vanity area, luxury shower, and T.V. – I wasn't really ready to go all the way back to the 16th century! Modern comforts aside, the room stayed true to the classic-romantic theme of the hotel, with high ceilings, antique-style furnishings and a view of the foothills that would make anyone fall in love – with the scenery to begin with.
The Villa Grazioli Hotel Review, Hip Hotel Frascati With its secluded location, I was initially worried that I might run out of things to do, but I didn't realize that the Villa Grazioli would be in itself a destination. With a film-worthy history – the villa was built by a Cardinal, used as an arms depot in WWII when it was nearly bombed, and then abandoned for use by homeless neighbors who ravaged the building – I spent several days just discovering the villa and surroundings. On the first floor of the main building, there is a gallery of frescoes that fill the walls and ceilings of the entire floor, by acclaimed 18th century painter G. P. Pannini. The famous works take you into a time of opulence and discovery, at the height of the villa's glory days.
The Villa Grazioli Hotel Review, Hip Hotel Frascati
When I tired of fine art appraising – which is another way of saying that my neck hurt from starring up at all the great works – I walked in the 15,000 sq. gardens that surround the main building and two adjacent buildings that make up the hotel. My next favorite thing to do was to swim in the charming outdoor pool set amongst magnificent natural surroundings, where I could laze away the day with a few poolside cocktails.
The Villa Grazioli Hotel Review, Hip Hotel Frascati
Saving the best for last, the highlight of my experience at the Villa Grazioli was the panoramic view of Rome from its hilltop restaurant. The gourmet meals heightened what can only be described as a postcard-like view, where on a clear day both the Vatican and the ancient Roman walls are in clear sight. I couldn't help but think of all the different nobilities that had stood at the very same hilltop over the centuries, reminiscing about how the Roman city had changed them, and if only for a few nights, I was among them. 


http://www.hilary.com/travel/hip-villagrazioli.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment